>> Friday, January 8, 2010
Doesn't this look so pretty???
NERRT'S ORANGE CARROT BUNDT CAKE
¾ cup butter, softened
1 ½ cups granulated sugar
2 tbsp grated orange rind
3 cups flour
1 ½ tsp each baking powder and baking soda
¾ tsp salt
1 cup sour cream (I used yogurt)
1 cup grated carrots
1 cup icing sugar
3 tbsp orange juice
Candied Orange Rind (Recipe Below)
- Preheat oven to 325 F (160C). Grease 10 cup Bundt pan and dust with flour.
- In large bowl, beat butter with sugar until fluffy. Beat in eggs one at a time, beating well after each. Beat in orange rind and vanilla.
- In separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir into butter mixture alternately with sour cream, making 3 additions of dry ingredients and 2 of sour cream. Fold in carrots. Scrape into prepared pan; tap pan on counter and smooth top.
- Bake in oven for approx. 1 hour. Cool for 10 min and then remove from pan onto a rack. Cool completely. You may wrap this cake in plastic and store in an airtight container, in the fridge for 24 hours or in the freezer for 1 month.
- In small bowl, mix icing sugar with orange juice until smooth; brush over cake. Garnish with white chocolate curls and candied orange rind.
- Using vegetable peeler, cut strips of rind from 1 orange (and I used a lemon as well). Cut lengthwise into thin strips.
- In saucepan, bring 1 cup granulated sugar and ¼ cup water to boil, stirring until sugar is dissolved; boil for 1 min.
- Add rind; simmer until translucent, about 6 minutes.
- With slotted spoon, remove rind, shaking off excess syrup. Immediately toss with 1/3 cup granulated sugar, using fork to separate pieces. Let harden on plate. (You can make ahead and store layered between wax paper for up to 2 weeks)