>> Friday, April 1, 2011
I love this recipe because you can make it ahead of time and it is virtually fool proof.
Here's what the stuffing looks like....kinda reminds me of tabouli, without the rice.
HANA'S VEGETARIAN STUFFED GRAPE LEAVES
1 lb grape leaves
1 cup finely chopped parsley
2 small onions finely chopped
3/4 cup short grain rice
1 tbsp chopped fresh mint
3 tomatoes finely diced
1 cup olive oil
juice of 2 lemons
1 tbsp salt
1 tsp all spice
4 cups water
- Prepare the stuffing by rinsing the rice and add to it the parsley, chopped onions, mint, tomatoes, olive oil, lemon juice, salt, and all spice.
- Place the grape leaves in boiling water for 2 minutes then remove.
- Place 1/2 a tsp of the stuffing per grape leaf and roll.
- Arrange the stuffed leaves in a large pot atop slices of potatoes.
- Place all the juices of the stuffing and the 4 cups of water to the pot.
- Place a plate atop the stuffed leaves and bring to a boil, then simmer for 1 hour until the rice is fully cooked.
- Serve cool!