>> Friday, December 18, 2009
Good Morning gals....here's a great dessert from Nerrt! Looks amazing, u did a beautiful job with the pie crust Nerrt!!!
I got this from allrecipes too. It's "Apple Pie by Grandma Ople." I changed a few things. The pie crust recipe is from my Better Homes and Garden Cookbook. It was one of the best apple pies I've had.
NERRT'S APPLE PIE
2 cups all purpose flour
2/3 cup shortening (I use Crisco)
6-7 tbsp cold water
1/2 tsp salt
- Stir together flour & salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in shortening till pieces are pea-size. Sprinkle 1 tbsp of the water over part of the mixture; gently toss with a fork. Push moistened dough to side of bowl. Repeat 1 tbsp at a time until the odugh is moistened. Divide in half. Form each half into a ball.
- On lightly floured surface, flatten 1 dough ball. Rooll from center to edges into 12 inch circle. To transfer pastry, wrap it around the rolling pin; unroll into a 9 inch pie plate. Roll remaining dough as above. Cut slits to allow steam to escape. Place remaining pastry on filling; trim under bottom pastry. Crimp edge as desired. (I sometimes do cut out shapes on the top layer instead of pricking it).
1/2 cup unsalted butter
2 tbsp all purpose flour
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
8 Granny Smith apples - peeled, cored and sliced (I used golden delicious)
2 Tbsp Cinnamon (This recipe does not call for it, but apple pie without cinnamon is like apple pie without vanilla ice cream)
- Preheat oven to 425 F (220C). Melt the better in a saucepan. Stir in flour to form a paste. Add water, white sugar and brown sugar, and bring to a boil. Reduce temperature and let simmer.
- Place the bottom crust in your pan. Fill with apples, mounded slightly. Cover with lattice work of crust. Gently pour the sugar and butter liquid over the crust. Pour slowly so that it does not run off. (NOTE: I poured the liquid over the apples and then put the top crust over it).
- Bake 15 min in the preheated oven. Reduce the temperature to 350F (175 C). Continue baking for 35-45 min, until apples are soft.