Nerrt's Moroccan Lentil Soup!

>> Sunday, February 21, 2010

I did not cook it for that long...probably only 30 minutes because we like a bit of a crisp to the vegetables. Also, I did not puree anything as we also like chunky soups. Some reviews said it's not really moroccan because garam masala should be replaced with "Rus al Hanoot" if anyone knows what that is. Anyways, it was really good and had a nice India flavour.




This looks amazing!!!


NERRT'S MOROCCAN LENTIL SOUP

2 onions, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
6 cups water
1 cup red lentils
1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained
1 (19 ounce) can cannellini beans (I used red kidney beans)
1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes (I didn't have any, so I used tomato paste)
1/2 cup diced carrots (I used 1 cup)
1/2 cup chopped celery (hard to find in this country, I used 1 cup red cabbage)
1 teaspoon garam masala (I used 2-3 tsp...love the stuff)
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cardamom (I did not use)
1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin (I used 1 - 1.5 tsp)
1 tablespoon olive oil (I used more like 1/4 cup)

  • In large pot saute; the onions, garlic, and ginger in a little olive oil for about 5 minutes.
  • Add the water, lentils, chick peas, white kidney beans, diced tomatoes, carrots, celery, garam masala, cardamom, cayenne pepper and cumin. Bring to a boil for a few minutes then simmer for 1 to 1 1/2 hours or longer, until the lentils are soft.
  • Puree half the soup in a food processor or blender. Return the pureed soup to the pot, stir and enjoy!

2 comments:

Umm Omar February 28, 2010 at 5:47 AM  

Looks delicous! I think I'd like it pureed...

Fatima Hamou March 3, 2010 at 7:32 AM  

This looks so hearty! Would love to try this on a rainy day!

Post a Comment

Search This Blog