>> Monday, March 22, 2010
Such a pretty looking cake!
FATIMA M'S HUMMINGBIRD CAKE
butter for greasing 2 nine inch round pans (buttered and floured/parchment paper)
2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
2 ripe mashed bananas
1 can diced pineapple with juice
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
3 large eggs
1 3/4 cup sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
2 packages room temperature cream cheese
1/2 cup room temperature butter
3 cups icing sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 tbsp finaly grated lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Whisk the flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, baking soda and salt in a bowl.
- Beat the eggs and sugar with a mixer on high speed until thick and light, 5 minutes.
- Gradually beat in the vegetable oil.
- Sprinkle the flour mixture over the egg mixture, mix together.
- Add the can of pineapple to the batter.
- Add the mashed bananas.
- Seperate the batter into the 2 round pans. Tap pan lightly on the counter to remove air bubbles
- Cook on middle rack for 45 mins. Recipe calls for 50 mins, but I found it done at 45.
- Make the frosting mixing the cream cheese and butter. Add the vanilla and the lemon zest, and then one cup at a time add the icing sugar.
- Ice, enjoy and keep the cake in the fridge.