>> Wednesday, March 17, 2010
MONA Z'S NEW YORK CRUMB CAKE
3 tablespoons canola oil4 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 large egg
1/2 cup milk
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup light brown sugar firmly packed
3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
confectioners sugar, for dusting
- Place rack in center of oven, and preheat oven to 325°F Lightly brush a 9-by-12 1/2-inch baking pan with canola oil, dust with flour, and tap to remove excess. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, sift together 1 1/2 cups flour, the granulated sugar, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
- In a second bowl, whisk together the egg, milk, canola oil, and vanilla.
- Using a rubber spatula, fold dry ingredients into egg mixture. Spread batter evenly into prepared pan, and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine remaining 2 1/2 cups flour, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Pour melted butter over flour mixture, and toss with a rubber spatula until large crumbs form.
- Bake cake portion for 10-15 minutes till slightly raised and a little golden.
- Sprinkle crumbs over batter and bake, rotating pan after 10 minutes.
- Continue baking until a cake tester comes out clean, about 10 minutes more.
- Transfer pan to a wire rack to cool. Dust with confectioners’ sugar.
- Using a serrated knife or bench scraper, cut into 3-inch squares, and serve.