>> Thursday, October 7, 2010
Come on over, lunch is served!
After the weekend of eating out 3 meals a day, here's a classic dish made healthier with brown rice. Note, I'm attempting to eat more salad & less carbs so 1/2 my plate is rice & the other salad.
HANA'S BROWN RICE & LENTILS
Makes 4 servings of 347 calorie per serving.
1 cup brown basmati rice
1 cup brown lentils
2 medium onions cut thinly lengthwise
1 tbsp oil
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp black pepper
- Rinse & soak rice at least an hour in advance.
- Pick over, rinse & boil the lentils for 10 minutes. Reserve cooking liquids.
- Sauté the onions on medium heat for approximately 10 minutes until golden brown.
- Reserve 1/2 the onion for decorating.
- Add the rice & lentils to the other 1/2 of onions along with the salt, cumin & pepper + 1.5 cups of the reserved cooking liquid.
- Bring to a rolling boil then simmer covered for 1/2 an hour.
- Serve with plain yogurt & salad.