>> Saturday, October 23, 2010
I found this recipe online last week, and boy oh boy it was delicious!!! You have to try it!! I think the key to this tasting so good is allowing the chicken to marinate in the fridge once it is all assembled. Here's a picture that Raya sent me of the Chicken Picasso she made for her family.
JUJEY & RAYA'S CREAMY CHICKEN PICASSO
4 chicken breasts
2 medium onions
3 bell peppers
2 large garlic cloves
14oz can diced tomatoes (pomodori)
1 vegetable bouillon cube
grated cheese (melting cheese)
1 tbsp Italian herbs (used zaatar instead)
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup cream
2 tbsp oil
1 tbsp butter
pinch nutmeg (I didn't use)
- Turn the bell peppers into rings. Make sure you remove all the seeds first, just yank ‘em out. Slice the onions in half rings. Season the chicken with salt and pepper.
- Lightly brown the chicken in oil. Nothing major, just a light tan. Transfer the chicken to an oven dish.
- Add the onion to the skillet. I didn’t use more oil or butter, in case you were wondering.
- Once the onion rings are all soft and yummy, you transfer them to the oven dish as well. Make sure there’s also onion underneath the chicken.
- Time for the bell peppers to get a slight tan. Cook them until they’re slightly pliable and add them to the oven dish as well. Get some underneath the chicken!
- Add the grated garlic to the skillet and cook for 30 seconds before pouring in the water and diced tomatoes.
- Stir well. Add the Italian herbs. Crumble up the vegetable bouillon cube and season with pepper, salt and a pinch of nutmeg.
- Pour in half a cup of cream. Stir to combine. I tasted it to check the seasoning and see if it needed anything else. It didn’t. It was perfect like this.
- Simmer the sauce, over low heat, for 5 minutes. Pour it all over the chicken and vegetables. Cover the tray with aluminum foil. At this point, I put the chicken in the fridge and then about 5 hours later I proceeded to bake it.
- Bake for 30 minutes in oven. Once those 30 minutes are up, grate some good melting cheese. Sprinkle it all over the chicken and place it back in the oven, uncovered, for another 15 minutes. Until the cheese has melted.