>> Monday, October 25, 2010
I made this cake a couple of weeks ago. It turned out really well and I am not usually a fan of baking. I made 2 9" rounds for a layered cake. That did not change the cooking time. This was the first time I saw a recipe that called for cooking the cakes at such a low temp and cooling the cakes in the freezer. The cakes came out cooled and firm enough for icing.
Definitely worth giving it a try, especially when you have a couple of brown bananas lying around that no one will touch. Enjoy! - Shadia
This is a picture of Shadia's Banana Cake with Cream Cheese frosting. I followed the directions exactly. It took a really long time to cook though, I think because I used a bunt pan. I ended up turning the oven up a bit and leaving it in an extra half hour. But all in all it tasted great, and very moist.
SHADIA'S & RAQUEL'S BANANA CAKE
1 1/2 cups bananas, mashed, ripe
2 teaspoons lemon juice
3 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup butter, softened
2 1/8 cups sugar
3 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 1/2 cups icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 275° and grease and flour a 9 x 13 pan.
- In a small bowl, mix mashed banana with the lemon juice; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix flour, baking soda and salt; set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream 3/4 cup butter and 2 1/8 cups sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time, then stir in 2 tsp vanilla.
- Beat in the flour mixture alternately with the buttermilk.
- Stir in banana mixture.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake in preheated oven for one hour or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and place directly into the freezer for 45 minutes. This will make the cake very moist.
- For the frosting, cream the butter and cream cheese until smooth.
- Beat in 1 teaspoon vanilla.
- Add icing sugar and beat on low speed until combined, then on high speed until frosting is smooth.
- Spread on cooled cake.
- Sprinkle chopped walnuts over top of the frosting, if desired.