>> Monday, December 27, 2010
Perfect for Breakfast!!
NERRT'S STRAWBERRY YOGURT MUFFINS
1 ¾ cup all purpose flour
½ cup sugar
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
¼ tsp salt
1 beaten egg
8oz carton of strawberry yogurt
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla
- Grease twelve 2 ½ inch muffin cups or line with paper bake cups; set aside. In a medium mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Make a well in the center of the dry mixture; set aside.
- In another bowl, combine egg, yogurt, oil, and vanilla. Add egg mixture all at once to the dry mixture. Stir just till moistened (batter should be lumpy)
- Spoon batter into the prepared muffin cups, filling each 2/3 full. Bake in a 400 F oven for 18 – 20 minutes or till golden. Cool in muffin cups on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Remove muffins from muffin cups.
- The original recipe calls for orange yogurt (which I couldn't find here), so I used Strawberry Activia yogurt instead. If you do use the orange yogurt, you can add 2 tsp of orange peel with the flour mixture. This also works with lemon peel and lemon yogurt. I made almost 24 smaller muffins instead of the 12 larger ones. Next time I may place strawberry jam/jelly inside each muffin as they are not very sweet, but are a good, healthy alternative to other options.
- Should you opt to make the orange/lemon muffins, you can stir ½ cup sifted powdered sugar and enough orange/lemon juice to make a glaze that is easy to drizzle over warm muffins.