>> Sunday, December 27, 2009
A flavourful rice pilaf from the Gulf Region. There's quite a few variations, but here is mine. The dish can be made with red meat as well. Reduce or increase the heat to your liking.
HANA'S BUKHARI RICE
3 onions thinly sliced
1 lb boneless chicken breasts
2 carrots shredded
1 lb tomatoes diced
2 cups Basmati rice rinsed & soaked
3 cups water
1/2 cup raisins
3 tsp salt
1 tbsp behar or allspice
1 tsp tumeric
1/4 tsp each black & white pepper
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp saffron
5 cardamom pods
1 cinnamon stick
1 bay leaf
- Sauté onion for 5 minutes on medium to low heat.
- Add the diced chicken, 1 tsp salt, behar, tumeric, peppers, saffron, cardamom & cinnamon stick & sauté for 5 minutes on medium heat.
- Add the carrots & sauté for another 5 minutes.
- Add the diced tomatoes and continue stirring for 10 minutes until the tomatoes cook through, its juices are released then reduced & start to slightly catch on the bottom of the pot.
- Add the water and bring to a boil scraping the bits on the bottom of the pot.
- Add rice, remaining 2 tsp of salt, bay leaf & raisins.
- Cover & let simmer on low heat 20-30 minutes.
- The recipe serves 6 adults and is excellent served with salad & plain yogurt for a complete balanced & nutritious meal.