>> Monday, December 28, 2009
Talk about WINTER COMFORT...
RANA'S CREAM OF MUSHROOM SOUP
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 tablespoons olive oil
3/4 cup finely chopped shallots (I use a small onion)
2 pounds white button mushrooms, thinly sliced
1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves (I use dry)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3 1/2 cups low-salt chicken broth, reserving 1/2 cup
1 cup milk
Ground nutmeg to taste, about 1/4 teaspoon
- In a large saucepan melt butter with the olive oil over moderate heat.
- Add the shallots/onions and cook until tender, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the sliced mushrooms, thyme leaves, salt and pepper, cooking until all of the liquid rendered from the mushrooms evaporates (I leave some liquid for flavour). Remove a 1/2 cup of the cooked mushrooms and reserve (I don't remove any). Stir in the flour and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add 3 cups of the chicken broth, bring to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes. (I skip this step) In a blender puree the soup in batches until smooth. For a very smooth soup, pass through a fine sieve. Return soup to saucepan, bring to a simmer and whisk in the milk.
- Add reserved chicken broth to achieve desired consistency.
- Adjust seasoning with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Keep soup warm but do not simmer or boil.
- Serve soup garnished with reserved cooked mushrooms.