>> Monday, May 24, 2010
I made these cookies for a friend of mine this morning and they're to die for. You really need to add a lot of cinnamon if want it to be obvious 1 tsp isn't hardly enough.
How cute are these!!!
RAQUEL'S CINNAMON HEART COOKIES
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter
1 cup granulated sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 tsp. ground cinnamon (use a little more if you really like cinnamon)
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
4-6 oz. bittersweet chocolate
1 tsp. vegetable shortening
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each one.
- Whisk together dry ingredients. Add the dry ingredients in several additions to the creamed mixture. Be careful not to overmix. Chill the dough several hours, or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Roll dough out on a lightly floured surface--1/8 to 1/4" depending on how thick you want them. Cut into desired shapes and place on baking sheets. Bake for 5-6 minutes, more if the cookies are thicker. Let cool completely.
- Melt bittersweet chocolate and shortening on 50% power in the microwave or use a double-boiler. Dip half of the each cookie into the chocolate and lay on parchment or waxed paper and let the chocolate harden.
- Store in an airtight container between layers of waxed paper in a cool, dry place.